William Riley Long
Of Union Co GA and
Cherokee Co NC
His parentage is currently unknown
is clearly related to the Longs of Cabarrus, Burke and Haywood
Source: much of the data originated as the research
of Charlotte Morrison
1. William Riley Long - born
about 1825 in North Carolina (census). Moved his family to Georgia
about 1850. Lived near Charles R[iley] Long in 1850 Union GA.
Note: Daughter Sarah Long Higdon's death certificate identified
her father's name as "Riley".
Married Lucinda ___________ born about 1824 in North Carolina
(Death cert of ?son John Thomas Long says his mother was Mary
2. Mary Jane Long - born March 1853 [note she is listed as
an infant in 1850 Union GA census; therefore she was born about
1849 in NC or GA]
Married Reuben T. Queen 31 JUL 1878 in Graham Co., NC
2. Charles Long - born about 1852 in GA
2. Betsey C. Long- born Oct 1855 GA died 1920 in Cherokee
Married James Lafayette Queen Aug 13 1875 in Graham NC
2. George Riley Long - born March 1851 in TN [1900 census]
and about 1857/8 in NC or GA according to census when in his
father's household. Living at Cheoah, Robbinsville Township in
1900 census. Buried 5 AUG 1916 in Graham Co., NC at Carver Cem.
Married Clementine Hooper 26 OCT 1882 in Graham Co., NC
3. Molly Ann Long, born Sep 20, 1885 in Graham Co., NC; died
Jan 29, 1927 in Eatonton, Putnam Co., GA.
3. Frieda Arizona Long, born Aug 12, 1886 in Graham Co., NC;
died Jan 11, 1984 in Graham Co., NC. She married Benjamin Posey
Hedrick Mar 06, 190546
3. Clara B. Long - born Mar 1891 NC died Dec 13, 1923
3. Arthur Ivan Long, born Mar 17, 1893 in Graham Co., NC;
died Aug 13, 1989 in Graham Co., NC
3. John Luther Long, born Oct 27, 1896 in Graham Co., NC;
died Mar 04, 1980 in Graham Co., NC
3. George Riley Long, Jr. born about 1897.
2. John Thomas Long - born 13 April 1858 in Blount Co TN (according
to death cert). Living in Graham NC in 1880 and Fannin GA in
1900. Died 12 Feb 1937 in Fannin GA (His death certificate
says his father William Long was born in Lumpkin Co GA, and his
mother Mary Underwood was
born in Fannin Co GA)
Married Edwinnie Huffman 3 Nov 1878 in Graham NC
3. George H. Long - born Aug 1879 GA
3. Rufus M. Long - born Sep 1881 TN
3 Mary B. Long - born Oct 1886 Ga
3. Poley D. Long - born Nov 1888 GA
3. Ellen L. Long - born June 1890 GA
3. Liley Long - born Feb 1893 GA
3. Ellmina Long - born Apr 1896 GA
3. Bessie Mae Long - born Dec 1899 GA
2. Sarah Louisa Long - born 19 June 1859 TN [April 1862 in TN
according to another source] died Aug 18, 1940 in Dalton, Whitfield
Married Tyre Glenn Higdon 17 Oct 1880 in Graham Co. NC
2. Emily Long - born about 1864 in NC. Lived Maryville, Blount
TN in 1880 and Jackson NC in 1900.
Married John H. Pace 27 March 1888 in Graham NC
1850 Census - Union Co. Georgia
1860 Census - ???
1870 Census - Cherokee Co North Carolina
1880 Census - Cheoah, Graham Co NC (formed from Cherokee)
Emails (and message board postings)
From: "Charlotte Morrison" <email@example.com>
Subject: Union Co., GA MATHIS family
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:36:13 -0400
Could "Lucinda Long" be from
one of the Union Co., GA MATHIS families?
In order to find the maiden name of Lucinda,
the wife of William R. Long, I
ordered the death certificate of their daughter, Sarah Louisa
(wife of Tyrus Glenn Higdon).
Sarah's daughter, Mrs. Mae Phillips, was
the informant on the death
certificate. Mae gave Sarah's parents as 'Riley Long' and 'Sallie
The father is consistently listed in census as 'William', but
I found land
records for him in Graham Co., NC that were signed 'William R.'
Sarah had a
brother named 'George Riley' ...so maybe the 'R' in her father's
'Riley' and maybe he was frequently called 'Riley,' also.
Sarah's mother's name, as given on the
dc, is somewhat more baffling to me.
She is always listed as 'Lucinda' in census records; yet, at
death Mae says her grandmother's name was 'Sallie Mathis.' Could
made a mistake about her grandmother's name ...or was her grandmother's
full maiden name something like 'Sarah Lucinda MATHIS?'
I strongly suspect that William R. Long
was a brother of Charles R. Long
because they were listed in the 1850 Union Co., GA consecutively
lived next door to each other). I have not been able to find
record for Wm. R. & Lucinda in either North Carolina or Georgia.
Charles R. Long and his wife, Ruth Honeycutt,
eventually migrated to
Alabama. Wm. R and 'Lucinda' settled in Graham Co., NC.
Does anyone have any clues as to who the
parents of Sallie Lucinda Mathis
Thanks so much,
Email: Oct 2012 -
John Thomas Long's death certificate. The
certificate definitely says that
John Thomas Long, b 13 apr 1858, Maryville,
d 14 July 1936, Fannin County GA
Father--William Long, b Lumpkin County
Mother-- Mary Underwood, b Fannin County
buried Mobile Cemetery
Informant--A.J. Craig, Copperhill, TN
I guess the Lucinda vs. Mary as mother
is still not sorted out.